Monday, May 3, 2010

Marathon May

Lately I have been feeling a little nudge to start getting back into a routine of things and start losing more weight. With that I have really had a desire to run.

Now let me just tell you I have never been big into running. I believe that some are naturally born runners while everyone else has to work hard at it. A few weeks ago I was asked to work the Salt Lake City Marathon. I wasnt too excited to have to work at 530am on a Saturday morning, but we need any money we can get so I said yes. To my surprise my perception of those who run was WAY off. I always thought only "skinny" people run. While most people who are skinny do run, I realized that all people of different shapes, ages and sizes run. You don't have to get skinny before you can start running.



Since this is the beginning of my running adventure I am going to write down some of the things I noticed and took mental note of while watching others run the SL marathon.

  • GU just looks nasty
  • If your stomach is not flat wear a long shirt!
  • guys that wear short-shorts make my legs chafe just looking at them.
  • lots of different types of people run.... my Lamaze teacher and my orthodontist were among those running
  • bigger people pass smaller people. Just cause your skinny doesn't mean you got it!
  • Remember to listen to your ipod at a reasonable volume. You do want to be able to still hear without hearing aides at 50
  • snot rockets are just plain gross!
  • bad knees are not a good enough excuse not to run
  • What is the purpose of a pace car? -- for those of you who are runners can you please answer that for me?!?!

After working the marathon I decided that I have no excuse as why not to run. I have always wanted to do it and experience a runners high. And the only way to do that is to start.

A couple in my ward talked me into signing up for my very first half marathon in September which gives me plenty of time to start to train and it also gives me a goal. Training begins next Monday for me (since I am still technically in the recovery stage from surgery) And I honestly am way excited! I would love for anyone else who wants to run this with me do it. It would be fun to have a buddy to train with too!!

5 comments:

Natalie Redd said...

I'm right there with you! I have some 5K and 10K races lined up and I have a half marathon in my list of goals. It does take getting used to, so don't give up! One day you'll be running and think to yourself "this is actually fun". I never thought I would, but I actually have thought those words more than one time!

Whitney said...

I would be all over this, if I wasn't going to be hugely pregnant for the race.
Watching people run marathons is a huge inspiration for me. All ages, shapes and sizes do it and even kill me with their times! Good luck with everything! Running is hard, but you feel so great after that race. It's totally worth it!

torri said...

Me! Me! I don't know if I will be close to where you are at all, but it would be fun to do it if I am! Can I ask how you are going to start training? I've trained up to a 5k and am not sure how to keep going. I want to do a marathon someday though, and a half marathon would be just what I need to start getting motivated again!

Kateka said...

Hey there! I am in no a good or fast runner but would love to go jogging with you! Let me know. :)

Sharee said...

I am doing that on my end of the country. I am slow, but it is getting easier, which is good. My half will be in October. Can't wait to hear more. Good luck!