Friday, March 13, 2009

Houses

Bret and I have started looking at buying our first home. Since we don't really know what the future holds with the duplex (the place we live now) and right now is a perfect time to buy we figured we might as well start looking.
I am quickly finding out that I am the pickiest person ever! I have this idea in my head of what I want, and nothing is fitting that description in our tiny budget. Here are a few obstacles that we have run into so far.

1. I don't want to live in a bad neighborhood or on a busy street - mostly because I want it to be safe for my kids to go outside and play. Right now we live on a busy street in a not so kid friendly neighborhood. So this is a MUST in a house. We will be there long term at least 5 years so both McKinley and Tait will be going to school. I don't want them going to school needing to speak Spanish as a second language. (and no I am not as prejudice as that sounds)
2. I would like a yard. - So I can plant a garden, have Dash play outside without being on a chain, the kids to have a nice area to play.
3. The kitchen and what it looks like. - I HATE houses where you walk in and see the kitchen table. I don't want people to ever feel unwelcome in my home. The first way I feel that happens is if they can see your family eating as soon as they walk in. Plus the kitchen table is a "landing zone" for all the junk that gets carried in from outside or stuff that doesn't get put away. I don't want others to see my junk pile that is usually on my table.
4. It needs to have at least 3 bedroom and 2 bathrooms. - I would prefer 4 bedrooms so that guests have a place to stay (or my brother can live with us) or make it a play room/office. Plus they all have to be on the same floor. So if the kids wake up in the night I am not climbing stairs in my zombie like manner to attend to their needs.
5. I want an unfinished basement. - for storage, and so in the future we can make more rooms or a bigger family room. We can do what ever we want with this extra space and have endless possibilities.
6. I want it to be close to family and close to Brets work and school. - This is important so that I know that Bret is safe and not driving on a 2 lane road to get to and from work/school. I want to be close to my mom and his mom so that we can see them often and so our kids know their grandparents and cousins. Although this I am finding is something that we are a little more lenient on.
7. I DON'T want a fixer-upper. -Bret is already too busy with school and work. I want our home to be move in ready so that he has a nice place to come home too, not more work.

As you can see I am pretty picky. We looked at a house in Tooele I LOVE it. Its got #1, 3,4,5 and 7. But it is missing 3 and 6. Which means no yard and we are about an hour away from family. The no yard thing is really the deal breaker. Although I LOVE the house plus it has the laundry on the main level and 4 bedrooms 2.5 bath. And its in our price range.
We are going out to eagle mountain tomorrow to look at some other homes. Hopefully we will be able to find something. But still are missing out on the whole #6 its about 45 minutes away for Bret to drive to and from work and school, but it is closer to family. Anyway here is a model of the house we like that is in Eagle Mountain.


7 comments:

Kara & Jacob Maughan said...

We are looking for a house right now too. I am equally as picky, you have to be especially if you planning on living there for awhile. I am more concerned about 3+ bedrooms and the laundry on the main level with all the bedrooms (rambler style). We have been looking at building and probably will within the next 6 months. I have found that is the only way I can get what I want! Good luck on your search :)

Grose Fam said...

you should really consider Herriman. Andrew and I love it! It has quiet neighborhoods, big yards and is fairly close to Brets parents (I don't know where yours live), good schools, and it isn't too bad of a drive to get to anywhere else.

Kristie said...

Cute house! good luck looking! Lovies!

Kateka said...

Oh goodness. Best of luck. House hunting seems like a ton of fun, but like a huge headache too!

Jessica said...

Hey, if you do look in the Tooele area, my hubby, Randon, is out there at the Fieldstone community. I like some of their homes, so if you are over there, go visit him! :)

Doney Days said...

Just come to Harvest Hills in Saratogoa Springs. As soon as the construction is done on redwood, it only takes about 10 min. to Bangerter and it's only about 12 minutes from our moms. You'd love it here!!!! And no I'm not down by the lake. We're before the stop light on Redwood before you turn west to Eagle Mtn.

Heather O said...

I think you have a right to be picky, I know I am. Good luck!