Thursday, November 8, 2007

The 'cold' blues

Man, I really don not like the cold season! It has been quite a while since I have had a case of the really bad cold. But this week, I got it. Not only did I get, I passed the slimy germ onto McKinley. She is such a trooper... even though she wakes up every hour in the night. I could tell that she wasn't really feeling very well when she didn't like to lay flat on her back because she couldnt breathe. But I had no idea that it would ever get this bad. The last two nights, she has slept in our bedroom, and she has had diarrhea for the last 14 hours. Last night in a panic I called my mom (moms have the answers for everything right?) she said that it might be because she is getting teeth. So I stuck my finger in her mouth and felt around, I couldn't feel anything so I called my neighbor to see if she could feel something (she has 3 kids) So she came over and felt around in McKinley's mouth... nothing. So she then called her friend who is a pharmacist to see if there was anything we could give her. The recent recall of Children's cold medicine has really put a damper in helping McKinley at least be comfortable. Luckily Jill (my neighbor) had over the counter children's sudafed, and Melanie told her the right amount that McKinley can have. Along with that I ran to the store to pick up some pedialite to help with McKinley's diarrhea. After all of this McKinley finally calmed down enough to go to sleep. Ehw! Its amazing how I totally forget that I am just as sick as she is until she is sleeping. I am Exhausted. I then give myself some cold medicine and quickly fall asleep. Two hours later McKinley wakes up and is screaming... and that is about the way it went until around 6 when Bret couldn't handle it any longer and got up changed her diaper (which was messy) and tried to hold her so she would go back to sleep. I then get up because his valiant efforts aren't working so well and decide to call the on-call doc. He tells me that I need to only give her pedialite and if she seems hungry to give her banana's or rice cereal. No Formula. After about an two hours of trying to get McKinley to drink more , she is refusing. Luckily the Dr's office was open so I called her doc and she told me the complete opposite of what the on-call doc told me. I felt horrible! Banana's, Vanilla yougart, Applesauce, Rice, toast and Formula for the next 48 hours. No baby wipes, warm wash clothes, bag balm not diaper rash cream and if her dirty diapers dont start to decrease in to see the dr. tomorrow. I begged Bret to stay home with me today. Not so much for McKinley but for me. I am still sick too... I want to sleep, I want to curl up in a ball and not do anything all day, I want someone to take care of me. Reality has set in, I am a mom now, there is no time for me to be sick. I fed McKinley some fresh banana's and gave her some formula, she finally has smiled for the first time since yesterday afternoon. Maybe she will nap, so I can too.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yikes! I have been sick, and Hudson has been sick - but never at the same time thank goodness! I am sorry for you. That is bad news!! Get lots of rest and spoil her a little extra; I think it helps them get better quicker!!!!

Have you signed up for the race yet? I am starting to think I might chicken out.... Christy said she wants to finish in 33 minutes - HA! I am just not that motivated, I guess :) Well, I will still be in if you are, so let me know what you decide!

Christy said...

I'm so sorry! It's bad enough being sick all by yourself, but I can't imagine what it would be like trying to take care of another sicky!

And you guys still have to do the 6K!

Christy said...

I tagged you...so go read my blog and then do the same...it was fun!