Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Like Carver???

Bret and I are having a really hard time coming up with a name for our little guy. I sat down the other day and realized that I only have 12 weeks left and that its time to get serious about picking out a name. We have been through an entire baby name book that has over 100,000 names and we still cannot find one that just sticks.
With McKinley, it was very different. We loved the name Payton... that is what we were going to name her until everyone else started telling us why we shouldn't name her that. Mostly the older generation because of Payton's Place... I had never even heard of it until then. And I still don't have a real understanding of what it is, at least with a good enough explanation on why no one should name their child Payton. Anyway, I was more irritated that everyone thought that they would have a say in what we decided to name our child then anything. So we bought the baby name book, that is where we found McKinley. It just stuck. I loved it, Bret really loved it (he served his mission in Alaska... mount McKinley) and so from that day on we had her name and we were not going to tell anyone what it was until she was here. She was our child and we were picking her name without the peanut gallery telling us what they thought. Once she was here, No one could tell us they didn't like it with out being really rude. We had decided that is what we were going to do with every name we chose, it was just easier that way.
So our biggest delemia with this one is that we started out with a great name... and we cant seem to find that great name for the next one. Everything that I like Bret doesn't, everything Bret likes, I don't. Its quite frustrating.

The only half way decent picture I could find... oddly enough he is playing against the Jazz

Well, the other night we were watching the Jazz game and because everyone on the team had the flu, they had a bunch of the bench guys starting. Kyle Korver, the new guy they traded Girechck for that looks like Ashton Kucher, was doing really well and the more they said his name, the more I liked it. I turned to Bret to see what he thought, he too in return liked the name Korver. I was really excited about the fact we finally agreed on a name. And was happy with the name we had just chosen for our son. I was hooked and so was Bret, until...
we went to his parents house and he asked them what they thought of the name. Now this totally defeats the purpose of choosing a name and not telling anyone because you don't want to know what they think about it. And for those of you who don't know my mother in law, she tells you what she thinks about everything even if you don't ask. So the less she knows sometimes, the better. Other then her saying "like carver???... I like the name Atikis" now everytime we see them, she comes up with a new name. Non of which we like.
Since Bret told his parents I decided to run it past my parents (you can never tell one set of parents and not the other) my mom in return said "like carver???? He is your baby, you should name your own children, it shouldn't matter what I think"
Now, because I know what our parents think of the name, I am having my doubts. But I still really like it. So I am letting everyone who happens to read this extremely long blog know how frustrated I am with picking out a name for our little one. I am up for suggestions on names and comments on the name Korver too.

4 comments:

Heather O said...

I like Korver, it is different but not too different. I had a co-worker name his son Tager, I thought that was just weird. Anyway I would maybe even have a couple of names you like and wait until the little guy gets here to see if they really do fit him, especially if you aren't dead set on one. Just my opinion though, the most important part - it is YOUR baby. Don't you love getting advice you don't want? (Gotta love parents.)

Christy said...

sounds good to me...i say it's completely up to you.

melynda said...

i actually really really like it, i think you should stick with it. it sounds good with your last name and it sounds good next to mckinley too. good luck!

Nicole said...

I like Carver, but I like Korver better. Where did you come up with that?