Monday, December 8, 2008

Ok... Who said the Prayer?

This weekend was a lot of fun! Friday my mom flew out to Arizona for her sisters 60th birthday with all her brothers and sisters. Which meant that we were in charge of my little sister Anna until my dad got done with working early Saturday morning. My dad dropped Anna off at our house after taking my mom to the airport and she spent Friday night with us. She was a such a great helper with the kids... I was even able to take a shower while both of my kids were awake and make a quick stop at the store without piling everyone in. (for those with kids you know that it is a 20 minute ordeal just to get everyone in the car)
Friday when Bret got home from work, we decided to go up to Park City to go get Tait his Christmas stalking. Bret and I bought our Christmas stalkings up there on our honeymoon so we go back up there each time we have a kid. Anyway, we were having the hardest time trying to find this little Christmas Shop on Main Street so we finally asked one of the workers for another store if it was up or down from where we were.. and that is when she told us that the store went OUT OF BUSINESS!! great! Now I have to see if I can find a stalking just like the rest of ours...(I think I might just make it instead) Bret and I were pretty bummed out and to make to best of it went to El Chabasco's our favorite place to eat in Park City. Its good food and not so pricey.



After Park City we drove back to my parents house and put the kiddies to bed and watched Chronicles of Narnia, until my dad got home.
Saturday morning we got up and Bret wanted to change the oil in the Tahoe before we did anything else. This is the first time that we have changed the oil since we have owned it and had NO idea that it would end up being an ALL DAY project. I don't know or understand all the technical stuff, but I guess someone tightened the bolt on too tight and NO ONE I mean NO ONE could get it off. Bret tried, Danny tried, a guy who works on cars in our neighborhood tried, this thing was NOT coming off. Bret decided to see if maybe my dad could get it off so we drove out to Riverton to my mom and dads to see if my dad could do it... and sure enough he could. Anyway, 5 people, 6 hours and 4 trips to Checker later it was finished. McKinley was being SO funny chasing Dash (our dog) around my parents front yard trying to pick him up and I had to snap a few pictures of her holding him because Dash looked HUGE when Kinney was holding him.



After we finished the car it was off to Jaysons basketball game and then to Brets parents ward Christmas party. It was a Hawaiian themed Christmas Party and everyone came dressed up and wore lays. We ate pulled pork, chicken and a pineapple salad. It was a lot of fun and the entertainment was pretty good too, we sang songs, heard a few poems and Christmas stories, and even saw Santa. Mostly we were watching Kinney running around playing with all the other little kids. During clean up we threw everything to the middle of the table cloth and rolled it up and threw it away. (this is a very important note to remember while I finish telling this story) McKinley found a blow up palm tree decoration and began carrying it all over the gym. It was a crack up. Plus I was boasting as everyone who passed her said how cute she was. (very proud moment as a parent)






As we were all getting packed up to leave and saying goodbye to Brets mom, she reached in her pocket to get out her keys.. and that is when she remembered she left them on the table.. which meant they were somewhere in the garbage. Bret said there was no way that he was going to go through the garbage to find her keys until she told him that was the ONLY pair they had. So I packed the kids up in the car and parked in front of the outside garbage with the lights on so we could begin looking for the keys. One of the members in their ward came out to help. (which surprised me it was only one since there was well over 200 people at the party) He jumped in the garbage can and began throwing out all the garbage bags. There had to be at least 15. Anyway Bret picked one out and we unrolled the table cloth and started looking for the keys. As Laura started moving plates around and began to roll up the very FIRST tablecloth I saw my name tag that McKinley had taken off me and stuck on the table. I knew that this was our table. Laura had already started to roll it up when I screamed "this is ours, this our table!" and sure enough there were her keys. After all of that the guy from there ward, who just happens to be a seminary teacher, said "ok, who said the prayer." we all started laughing but knew that someone had to have said a prayer because there was NO WAY that out of 15 garbage bags we would have picked the first one by chance or even grabbed the right table cloth on the first shot.










It is amazing to me that our Heavenly Father watches out for each one of us. I know that He answers our prayers and I know that He answered the silent prayer that Laura had said so she would be able to find her keys. Little or Big, I know that He is there and listening and wanting to help. Kinda a cheesy faith building story, but its little things like this that help me remember my Heavenly Father.

5 comments:

Kristie said...

shocking no one else helped. love the guy who did. love mckinley carrying the tree around. love the post. love it.

Chelsea said...

Well, let me just add a little cheese to your post and tell you how much I appreciate that little story and your comments at the end. I really needed that!!! Sometimes it is so easy to forget that Heavenly Father is always there.... no matter what! Thank you for the reminder :)

Did I hear there is a Madrigal party this month? Sorry I'm not on facebook so I am a little out of the loop....

Kateka said...

That is really cool! What a good reminder that we are ALWAYS being watched over.

melynda said...

ok i love that picture of m holding the dog.

kevin and angie said...

hi alicen!! i found your blog through michelle 'richards'... your little family is SO cute!!! it is crazy how time flies, isn't it? glad to see you are doing well, if you don't mind i will be back to check in on ya!!
http://thekevincarpenterfamily.blogspot.com/