Friday, December 12, 2008

They are no more.... the story behind the moles.

So many of you that know me pretty will also probably know that I also have moles... a lot of moles, some little, some big. It must come with my fair skin and the exposure to sunlight that brings them in multitudes.
When I was younger, I had a particular patch of moles that grew in a straight line up my neck. My mom always would tell me "that is where Jesus sewed you up". That tells you how long I have had these moles because I honestly believed her. I know and have known for quite a while that this is NOT where Jesus sewed me up. Although because of that little saying, these moles have always had a special place in my heart. They were a reminder to me of my Heavenly Father and that he makes each one of us different... some with moles... some without.. some short... some tall... some big.. and some small.
Well I cut my hair a few months ago and my sister in law Robyn, who does my hair complained about how ugly they were. Yes, I know that moles are ugly, but these to me make me different... they have sentimental value. And Yes, I do know that is weird to some of you, but read my above paragraph again so you can understand why. Anyway, every time I see her or she cuts my hair she makes comments about my moles and how I should go get them taken off. After my last hair cut and all of her comments and everyone elses comments I thought that I should get them removed. But I was so torn up about it. Later that night I explained to Bret why I loved my moles. He told me that if that is how important they are to me, then to not get them removed. So I decided to keep them.
The weeks to follow only worsened the situation... My in laws made comments like
"I love you, but if I pay to have the moles removed will you do it?"
"you still have those? they are SO gross"
"Just go get them taken off"
"You do know that is not where Jesus sewed you up, right?"
Although they are family, the comments still cut pretty deep because I am attached to these silly moles. I like them, they don't bug me and really that is all that should matter... right?
Well, I finally decided against my better judgment to go get them removed. Tuesday I went in and they are now gone.
I was planning on writing a poem to both Robyn and Laura about my moles being gone for them for Christmas. Mostly so I would have time to cope with my loss of my "different"-ness being gone and to hopefully be just as happy that they are gone as they would be. Yesterday Robyn noticed that they were gone and both Laura and Robyn are happy now that my moles are gone. But for me, I am not. I hate the fact that because someone said something about what I looked like or because the person I pay to do my hair doesn't like them I got rid of them. I folded... which is SO not like me.
The area that my moles were now is sore and tender. The dr told me that I will always have a scar there where they were. It will always be a constant reminder to me of my comformity.

Anyway, with that being said.... Merry Christmas to all those people who hated my moles.

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey I'm with you, I was blessed with a kagillion too. I'm like you, it makes us different and unique. And hey, if I get bored, I can play connect the dots on my arm! Always good for a laugh too, when kids at the daycare used to tell me I had chocolate on me. Hahaha.

Mayfield said...

Alison, you are stupid (laughing) and funny at the same time. You should have just kept them, and told everyone that they meant a lot to you!
Hope all goes well with the mole removal!!!!

paxtonfam said...

How funny! You should do what you want to do and not what others demand. By the way, I enjoyed your car keys story. That was awesome!

melynda said...

alicen, i am sorry you feel so sad. its not fun when your family is mean. maybe they will come back! after i had linc, my freckles came out of the woodwork, i am covered!

Kristie said...

Alicen, I'm shocked at the in-laws comments. SHOCKED. Are you kidding me? I hope the tenderness & pain leaves asap. I love that you're sentimental (I am so so sentimental). Love you beautiful!

Kateka said...

Maybe if your skin is anything like mine, it will just sprout three new moles in place of the old ones. Take that in-laws!! Plus, you must remember there are many, many, MANY things that make you beautiful and unique besides your moles, though I imagine it is probably still sad. We love you for you, not for your moles.

Whitney said...

This makes me smile and laugh because I have BIG mole on the back of my neck that my mom would always kiss and call her "little chocolate chip" and would tell me that she would always be able to know me because of it. I also have one on my chest (I think everyone can see it in almost every picture of me) and I like it... until little kids have tried to pull it off. :(

Tiff George said...

Ugh...I'm so sorry! I'm afraid I fold way too often, and I'm always mad in the end that I did, and that I didn't just do what I wanted to do. I totally feel your pain! Grrr...

Robyn Parker said...

Oh brother! You don't have to cut around those moles and I'm not a mean in-law! As a beautician asking someone to do your hair and having to deal with those are a difficult task i did cut you trying to remove all your hair! Sorry the hair cut you choose shows them. Usually i wouldn't even cut around them and tell the client sorry because you don't want to deal with blood. I cut hair, not skin and moles. So it does gross me out when i try to cut around them and nick them. I because a beautician so i don't' have to deal with blood and gross stuff. Also as a beautician i gave you my opinion. As your IN-LAW (i hate being defined as that still I hoped by now we'd get pass that!) AS your FAMILY I told you want i thought of them and if those comments hurt you and the moles really did mean that much to you, then you tell me to shove it never talk about it again and move on. You never said that. Thanks for making me look like the bad guy instead of talking about it to me to my face! Whatever, next time something bothers you just let me know so i don't get my face smeared all over the internet! If you want to know what hurts that does!

Robyn Parker said...

UGH!!!! How mean can you possibly get. Seriously You creamed me and my mother because you conformed to us! Oh brother grow a pair!

Heather O said...

I'm sorry Alicen, that really makes me sad. It is really hard especially when it is family and what can you say? I hope that is something everyone can move past. :)

Allie said...

Thanks to all of my good friends who have commented on my sad loss of my moles. :)
Please also remember that I do still love my family and that their feelings are all in this too.
I am glad to have great friends like all of you who have a deep concern and compassion for my feelings. Its a good reminder to me that when some people might bring you down, I have a group of good friends to be there to support me.