Thursday, January 29, 2009

Social Security - The Story of the Druglords

Since we have changed Tait's name from Tatum to Taitan, we still haven't made it into the Social Security office to get his name changed on his card. Well, since it is tax time and we like to file our taxes early, we had to get it done. This morning my mom came in to watch the kids while I made that adventure over to the Salt Lake branch Social Security Office. First, they moved and I had to pay $5.00/hour for parking!!! If I would have planned it out correctly, I would have rode trax, but since I thought that it was at the old building I drove. I took a book and wore comfy clothes because I knew that I would be sitting a long time. Boy if I would have known how my experience would have been, I never would have brought a book because I didn't get much reading done... just a lot of eavesdropping.
For those of you who have ever been to the Social Security office you might know exactly where this story is leading. For starters I need to set the scene... here are just a few things that I need to explain first.
  • Most people who go there are going into file claims to collect social security. Which gives you a WIDE variety of people.
  • It reminds me a lot of the DMV you get a number and wait in this room full of chairs, that usually are occupied, that all face the windows and wait for someone at the window to call your number. The room is pretty bare no pictures, just painted a plain color, kinda blah-ish. So even if you are there for 15 minutes it feels like an hour!
  • Given the neighborhood I live in (approx. 1300 S and 900 W) and the culture shock I endured when I first moved here, it takes quite a bit to scare me and other people to scare me. (keep this in mind)
But this morning most of the people who were there smelled like they hadn't showered in a week, let alone washed their clothes this month, even brushed what teeth they had left, combed their hair, or put on deodorant. I got my number, filled out the paperwork I needed to and tried to find a place to sit that was somewhat in a "neutral" zone. I found some people who looked like they had showered recently and sat in front of them. I opened my book and began reading. Soon after my first page, the people behind me (we will call them lady #1 and lady #2) began talking to each other. Pretty soon I couldn't read anymore because they began talking pretty loud and I found it hard to concentrate on my book. Lady #1's phone rang and she began talking to a guy (I know this because of the conversation that they had about him getting a tattoo of the superman logo on his chest). After she hung up she told the lady #2 he just got out of jail and is glad she is now able to spend time with him. (*WHAT?*)
While this was going on the room began to get fuller and I ended up sitting next to a lady with no front teeth who smelled like she just smoked the cheapest cigarette she could afford and a cute little old man who most likely hadn't showered in 2 weeks.
The girls behind me continued talking and telling each other their life stories. I found their conversation quite interesting as I was eavesdropping. They began exchanging stories about drug rehabs they have attended, crimes they have done time for, what crimes they are still on probation for (lady #1), drugs they used to do, and felons they have dated. All which they were very proud of. (*odd?*) The longer I sat and listened to their conversation I was getting uncomfortable with the fact that these women took pride in the way their lives had unfolded. As they continued talking about drugs, they started talking about their "druglords", when they sold, when they stopped selling and where they get their drugs now when they need a "hit". Lady #2 told of a few places she gets her drugs from and then Lady #1 decided to exchange where she gets her's from, she then said around 13TH SOUTH and 9TH WEST!!!! Luckily for my peace of mind, my number was called. PHEW!!!

4 comments:

Tiff George said...

Yikes! It's gotta be that house right around the corner, isn't it? I'm sorry you guys still live there - I miss living by you guys, and some of the people in the ward, but it is SO nice being out of that neighborhood! I've heard how fun your new neighbors are, by the way.... :)

Heather O said...

Wow, I would have gone running. Sorry you had to endure that!

melynda said...

ha, thats kinda funny i totally would have listened too!!

Kateka said...

Ah, ha, ha! This is hilarious (and freaky!!!) Things like this just make me lose all respect for the American people. Ugh. Whatever happened to self respect?? Oh well, made for a good story. :)