Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Beginning



Bret is always telling me to start writing in a journal. He is a big journal writer and it always has driven me crazy that he spends hours on hours on Sunday afternoons writing. I will always try to distract him because now that he is going to school full time and working full time, our time together is very limited and I love to spend every minute that I have with him. He of course says to me 'I need to write in my journal, do you know how behind I am?' and then grudgingly I let him (sometimes) continue writing.
I never really have understood the whole purpose in writing a journal until I had McKinley. My mom-in-law bought me and my sis-in-law a baby calender that you put stickers on when your baby does things for the first time; rolls over, finds their voice, crawls, etc. Because Robyn, my sis-in-law, didn't have her baby until the middle of August, we both received our calendars in July. Now by this time Mckinley had done a lot of things. We had been to the Dr. for wellness visits 3+ times. Mckinley had already rolled over, sat by herself unsupported, ate solid food, and the list goes on. So when I sta
rted to fill out this calendar, I pulled out Bret's journal and began reading trying to see if maybe he wrote about these big milestones McKinley had. It wasnt until then that I finally admitted having a journal was a good thing.
I never thought about writing my experience that I had with breastfeeding or even how it was to have a baby that not only had jaundice, but who was not getting enough to eat her first 2 weeks of life. Or about the feelings I had when she smiled at my for the first time or how I felt when she burned her hand on my curling iron. Also about how hard it is to be a stay at home mom, who's husband works full time and goes to school full time.
So this is my start of keeping a journal. It might get lost in cyberspace by the time my children are old enough or even care about what I had to say, but for me it might be therapeutic to write down my feelings instead of, as I say to Bret, 'talk to myself for 14hours everyday'.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Yay! I love it when people sign up for a blog! It's quite addicting, I must say, but I love it. And I never write in a journal, either. This blog is the only thing that is remotely like a journal for me. And, it is therapeutic!