Sunday, October 7, 2007

What a weekend

I have enjoyed this weekend so much and I am very sad to see it come to a close. Bret didnt have school Thursday or Friday because of fall break, and I have welcomed every minute that we have been able to spend together. Jayson, Bret's 16yr old brother, came over Friday and has stayed at our house for the last two days. Although sometimes its hard for me to have my husband revert back to his 16 year old ways, I really do like having Jayson around.

Friday night we all made a trip to IKEA to pick up plug covers and locks for the kitchen drawers because McKinley is mobile. She isnt crawling quite yet, but this last week she has found her knees and is rocking. It will only be a matter of time before my life as I know it will change forever. No more leaving to go to the bathroom, answer the phone, put a load of laundry in... without her following me.

McKinley and her cousin Milea playing at our house

Jayson had never been to IKEA before, it was fun to watch him as we traveled through the entire store. Friday night we all stayed up WAY past all of our bedtimes watching nothing less, but football.
Saturday was the beginning of conference weekend. I am not sure what it is about this weekend that I love so much. Is it the fact that we sit in our pj's all day in front of the TV or if it is just the fact that I feel so uplifted after listening to their words.
The men all go to the priesthood session and the girls all get together and go shopping or out to eat. This year I went with Brets family and all of the ladies on his dads side of the family. Bret's uncle and aunt from AZ were in town and it was fun to be able to talk to DeAnn and hear about her family, especially her girls they adopted last year from Russia, and how they are all adjusting. It was very nice to just have some "girl time".
This morning McKinley had her first finger foods that actually made it into her mouth. I made pumpkin pancakes and couldn't resist not letting her try them. She of course LOVED them. So, I put her in the high chair and cut up a pancake and let her pick up the pieces and eat it. Not all of the pieces actually made it in her mouth, but for the most part they did.



McKinley with her first cookie, yes
the cookie did eventually come out of her shirt

Its an indescribable feeling to see McKinley, who once could do nothing for herself, start to learn things and be independent. It is a great joy to see her grow up and see her personality start to show. I love the time that she is awake and laughs and giggles at the funny things I say and do. (I think that adults would laugh too at the the things we do to get babies attention) Her favorite game right now is peek-a-boo. Although she has not yet figured out she can use her hands to cover her eyes, she uses objects like the coffee table and her blanket. We both get laughing so hard I start to cry. Everyday is a new adventure and such a joy. I never thought that children would bring a sense of fulfillment to my life.








1 comment:

Christy said...

Kids are so darn cute. I like playing with kids and then sending them back to the parents when they start to fuss! :)